Friend of the Court
What We Do
Ogemaw County Friend of the Court function is to monitor/enforce specific matters in domestic relations cases that are heard in the 34th Circuit Court. This office is defined by Michigan Court Rule. The goal of the Ogemaw County Friend of the Court is to provide the best living environment for the minor named as a dependent on a Friend of the Court case.
* Friend of the Court prepares/provides support recommendations to the court for child support hearings.
* Friend of the Court recommends custody and Parenting time to the court for custody and parenting time hearings.
* This office enforces all domestic relations orders that are signed by a Judge in the 34th Circuit Court related to a Friend of the Court case.
WHAT THE FRIEND OF THE COURT DOESN'T DO
The name of our agency, Friend of the Court, confuses the public. The word "friend" seems to imply that we are ready and able to assist with all court problems. We are not. The Friend of the Court handles specific areas of domestic relations cases heard by the Circuit Court. We are not a clearinghouse of information. We cannot provide legal advice. Relief from problems stemming from your divorce does not automatically begin with the Friend of the Court.
THE FRIEND OF THE COURT HAS NO AUTHORITY TO DO THE FOLLOWING:
* Investigate abuse and neglect.
* Change an order without consent of the court.
* Investigate criminal activity.
* Give legal advise to either party.
Although this website is periodically reviewed and updated to include information to help answer the most common questions, what follows is not an exhaustive list of all policies, civil procedure or domestic relation laws. To ensure that you are fully informed it is always advisable that you either research your issue at a public law library or that you consult with an Attorney. As for the materials and information made available throughout this Web Site, the Ogemaw Co.FOC is not responsible for their accuracy, adequacy, or completeness, or for the results obtained by using them.